Tuesday, September 22, 2009

rain

I've never been one of those people crazy about rain. I wasn't one of those dance in the rain, splash in the puddles types. (I did do some puddle jumping once, but someone tried to take my picture and I thought they were going to kidnap me since that was one of the warning signs from the anti-kidnapping news special my mom made me watch the night before. So that kind of dampened my fun.) I don't enjoy my feet getting soaked. Or my hair getting plastered. I prefer the nice hot drink by a fire next to a window watching the rain with a good book or movie.

However, the rainy season here is quite nice. I might be singing a different tune in a few months, but right now, I actually enjoy it. It rains for about an hour and today is the first time it's been overcast for the rest of the day. It has usually cleared up after the rain. The rain makes everything fresh and green and settles the dust. I had to run across campus the other day during a torrential downpour and it was pretty enjoyable, even amidst the smidgen of panic I felt for the laptop in my backpack and the phone in my pocket I was desperately trying to protect. Yesterday, the kids made themselves silly with glee jumping on the trampoline in the rain. I kept eyeing the swing, but decided in the end to stay dry. They say rainy season is off and on for the next 6 months, so I'll have plenty of time to work up to that rain dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment