Friday, November 13, 2009

Blessed be

This past weekend, we went to the orphanage here in Kigali with fellow teachers to play with kids. It was a surreal experience. We were not allowed to take photos, but I so wish I could share their smiles with you. They came running to us the moment we walked in, with a little one jumping straight into Levi's arms. I too got one running up to me for a big hug. They were absolutely precious - big smiles, big hugs. It was fun to be there with Levi, Kristen, the girls, and other teachers from the school. The visiting hours are during their snack time where they receive bread and chai (a milk drink with spices). The orphanage was founded by Mother Theresa, and you can admire a lovely statue of her across the grounds. The children we played with were about 2-5 years old. There were younger ones in a room, but we were out on the play yard. There were about 50 children, so it was nice that there were at least 10 of us there. Kristen and I both were singing to them, getting choked up several times.

As I reflect on the experience, I have just been so moved by thinking about what God did for me, how He sent me to my family at such a young age, and the family he placed me in. I'm in a devotional group that's going through 1 Peter and we were reading chapter 2 the week before that spoke about how once we were not a people, but now we belong to God and we are to proclaim his excellencies. It was a powerful image to see the children, to think of my experience with my family here on this Earth, and then to think of my Father in heaven. Anyway, we would appreciate prayer for us to be able to go out there regularly and to be the hands and arms of love for them.

I've been musing on and encouraged by this song:
Blessed be Your name in the land that is plentiful, when the sun's shining down on me, blessed be your name.
Blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering, when there's pain in the offering, blessed be your name.

Thank you for your love and support. We are deeply blessed by your prayers and encouragement.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post! Rwandan kids are really easy to fall in love with. Levi, if these kids are orphans, doesn't that mean you could keep the one that jumped into your arms?

    ReplyDelete