Wednesday, May 12, 2010

thoughts on the bike

I don't think we've ever regretted buying the motorcycle this past October. Not only has it enabled us to get to and from school for morning meetings, afternoon meetings, student meetings, etc., but it has absolutely provided comic relief. Today I had yet another completely ridiculous, illogical thought pop into my head while riding home, which has been a common occurrence whilst I am wearing my sweet flowered helmet.

I present to you snippets from my stream of consciousness on the bike.
...so tired. If I just close my eyes, I could fall asleep. Wait. I don't think I'm supposed to take a nap here. I'll have to ask Levi later...


...hmmm, that guard has a rifle. Getting shot would probably sting...


...better make sure my jaw is loose when we go over these bumps so I don't chip any of my teeth... 
(this one might not be so illogical.)

...am I supposed to go downhill like I would if I was on a horse? Who knows something like that? I wonder how many horseback riding-motorcycle enthusiasts there are in the world...


...dear Lord, please don't let us die today. It is my sister's birthday... 


...[staring down the steeeeeeeeep hill with 10 inch deep ruts that we drive every day] I wonder if Levi ever just wants to close his eyes and open them once we've reached the bottom. because I sure do. I guess he probably doesn't...


...mmm this bagel is tasty. I wonder why Levi is giving me such a surprised look. Maybe I'm not supposed to eat while riding a motorcycle?....


The bagel one was the best. Levi's face when he turned around and saw me eating was beyond words. There's not many times when I get to completely catch him off guard, but that was definitely one of them.

Without fail, every day I bump helmets with him. We might be going uphill and a sudden surge in the engine catches me unaware - Legitimate. Or we might be slowing down to go over a speed bump - Semi-legit. Or it's a completely flat part of the road and I've lost my sense of space and just can't help my head from bobbing forward - No excuse. The only thing that makes me feel better is that all of Levi's other passengers, except for a fellow motorcycle driver, have bumped into him.

All in all, it's been a great purchase, but I don't think I'll miss it when we get back to the States. Levi, however.... It will be hard to pull him away from buying one at home. But don't worry - I'll remind him about how dangerous they are (in the US only, of course), and how all ER doctors make their kids swear to never ride them.

1 comment:

  1. you're so funny, erin. this is a great post. i love your thoughts while riding your motorcycle. although, it did make me wonder, "is she getting enough sleep??" love you guys. thanks for posting the pictures on fb.

    ReplyDelete