Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Beginning of the End

Hello friends!
I apologize for the long delay. It's hard to believe it's already May! We return to the blog with renewed vigor and purpose to document our last few weeks (!) here. (Don't hold your breath though.) We will be returning to California in June and praying that there is a teaching job somewhere for Levi. Please let us know if you have any suggestions! :)

As we wrap up the year here, I just want to reiterate how this is a great place to be. "This" being wherever it is that God wants you to be. The school is looking for teachers for next year, so if you are a teacher, I would highly recommend that you strongly consider applying to see if this might be where God wants YOU to go.

One of the parts that made this year so great is the orphanage we mentioned a while ago. Back in November, we started going almost every Sunday afternoon with my sister and other teachers from the school to play and sing with the children. The experience has been beyond our wildest imagination. It's a story that's still in process, but since January, many people in our family have begun the process of adoption. Amazing. Our story is for another day as our most recent news has left our hearts a little broken, but we want to start to share the children we've been able to know and love with you now. I share these precious children now in hopes that there is someone out there who will pray for them and to consider starting the long journey to adopt a child anywhere. It feels so intangible as I sit to try to imagine children around the world, but so personal as I think of the ones I see weekly. How I wish that I could have a picture for each story, but it's not allowed.

Today, I'd like to introduce you to S---a (I'm not sure if I should post names or not....I'll check around, but until then, to err on the side of privacy is always better. But she has a beautiful name.). She is a lovely, nine year old girl who lives at Home of Hope here in Kigali. She has a wide smile with a little gap between her front teeth. She is the oldest child we play with on Sunday afternoons. She shines when she dances and we got to see her perform front and center for a nun's goodbye party. She knows every child's name and fills us in as we point around. She is learning to speak English and she has several phrases down pat. I don't know her or anyone's story before they arrived at the Home of Hope, but I know she is sweet and fun and loved by God. She imitates another teacher's karate moves with careful attention and a happy glow. Every time I see her, I pray for her future. What awaits her next? Will there be anyone who will come to take her home?

Thanks for reading and for praying for her with me.  May your day be blessed wherever you are.

1 comment: